Plymouth Industrial Park Progress Report

It’s been a few days since the last report and things are moving along quite smoothly. True to my word, I’m not giving you another video report because the work I’ve done is so basic you don’t need to see it because it’s been seen so many times before. In fact I’m only showing this picture of the finished baseboard because it’s in front of my Model T Ford.
The baseboard is 6mm MDF braced with 50mm x 25mm wood. That is all.
The track is nothing more than Atlas set track, with a length of flex in front of the big warehouse. Wires were soldered to the rails and the track glued in place. Then I moved on to the painting and the weathering of the track, and then I thought you might just need a short video about the simple technique I used to get a personally acceptable method of making the track look less plasticky than it actually is. Here’s your video.
I think that really shows how simple a technique can be to step up away from store bought track.
That now means scenery work can start. This is the location that inspired that layout.
There is a roadway running alongside the warehouse siding. Because my layout is a little cramped depth wise. I decided that the blacktop would fill the space between the tracks. I wanted to use foam core board with a paper face peeled off exposing the foam which would then be treated as the road surface. I’d seen it used on Tom Conboy’s Wetterau Food Services Micro and was impressed with the effect. However, as the O scale track is deeper than the foam core it wasn’t going to work easily. So I raised the surface between the tracks, (ironically using foam core) and bringing the surface up to track level with lightweight spackle, my preferred scenic base material.
Infilling the space between the tracks with foam core board
Then covering the baseboard surface with lightweight speckle. 
Scenery work can begin!
That's it so far. Now the fun scenery work will begin. Who knows? The layout may even be finished by the next post.



Comments