Carl Arendt R.I.P.

It is with a very heavy heart that I write these words for I have just found out that Carl Arendt, keeper of the site Micro/Small Layouts for Model Railroads passed away on Friday at his home in Seattle.
Carl was a modern day champion of the small model railway layout. In the days when model railroad magazines in the US were featuring nothing but basement filling empires, he was proclaiming smaller is better. Not just smaller, but much, much smaller. Micro layouts. Layouts that he defined as "A small model railroad, usually less than three or square feet in area that nonethless has a clear purpose and excellent operating capability"
His extreme example was the Squarefoot Estate Railway G scale in 1 square foot (hence the name).
That was how I came to know him. I don't quite remember how I found the layout. Googling something like small model railways, I expect. But I was captivated by it and dropped him a line to compliment him. That was the beginning of a friendship that lasted some 10 years. It was like finding a kindred spirit we shared so many ideas and interests.
Carl was instrumental in starting me in Gn15 and it was then I quickly got a dose of his incredible enthusiasm for model railroads. Once I received an email from him simply titled "Wanna Race?"
Steve Bennett at Sidelines model had produced a railcar kit in O9 and Carl suggested that we had a race to build a railcar in Gn15. We were exchanging emails hourly encouraging each other on. The projects only took a couple of days and was great fun. It was something that we repeated again a few years later modelling another unusual prototype in Gn15. He was even planning to take on guest operator duties on Whinny Lane at a show in Saint Paul one year. But alas, we couldn't make that work out.
Carl's big thing though was planning small and micro model railroads, and to that end he produced the Micro Layout design gallery. A showcase of small model railroads from designers all around the world. I was an early and frequent contributor to it. The success of the site led to no less than three books containing the best plans from the site and I was pretty honoured when he asked if he could feature some of my plans in the first two books.
We corresponded regularly about track planning even going so far as to challenge each other on some layout designing projects akin to the Gn15 model making ventures (Search for "Lambertville" on the Micro Layouts gallery for our differing approaches to the same challenge.)
After a while I planned less and our correspondences became fewer but whenever I had and idea I'd jot it down and zap it off to Carl and a cheery reply would come back like you were his best mate. He had a knack of that. He made you feel as if you were a really good friend. My wife and I always looked forward to Christmas for it was then that we would get the handmade Carl Arendt Christmas card. It was nearly always some kind of wintry scene he had photographed (photography was another of his interests) and turned into a card.
A couple of years ago, quite out of the blue, I received an email from him. He and his wife, Sheila were moving from Pittsburgh to Seattle. He was clearing stuff out and had come across some back issues of Narrow Gauge and Industrial railway modelling review that he had duplicates of and would I like them.
"Sure". I said, thinking that it would only be a few issues. A week or so later two boxes arrived full of the first 70 issues! I wasn't expecting that.
Carls' cheery good nature even worked its way though to my wife. When I showed her what Carl had written about her operating Wingett's Recycling she blushed and said "Oh my Gosh..." Carl was a bit of a charmer.
When I wrote to Carl about featuring Wingetts Recycling on his site and I told him about being approached by a member of the staff of Model Railroader to feature it in their magazine. He was, to put it mildly, rather excited. He saw it as some kind of vindication of the micro layout ideal I think.
Sadly he won't get to see that article.
He was a good friend and I will miss him.

Comments

  1. Oh, no, what a loss... His site was how I came to find yours, and is one of the longest-lived RSS feeds that I'm still subscribed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes his passing is a great loss...he has been a huge inspiration to me these past 8 years.
    Hopefully by our modeling efforts we'll be able to keep his memory and ideals current.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very sad news indeed.

    A great contributor to our hobby.

    Condolences to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this bad information! Yes, it is a loss for the whole scene.

    Condolences to his familiy too.

    From Germany,
    Stefan (eksnap at wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man. This mortality thing sucks. Seems wrong somehow that someone like Carl is gone while Paris Hilton and Charlie Sheen continue on. Like others, I found his website searching for small layouts and spent many an hour happily reading and looking. RIP Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Without Carl's enthusiasm, guidance and his amazing website. I doubt if I would've stayed in this hobby. I am one of many who owe Carl an immense debt of gratitude.

    Thank You Carl.
    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carl didn't bow to the conventional wisdom that bigger layouts are better and I always appreciated this about him. His work will be missed.

    John
    www.ztrains.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whats going to happen with the Small Layout Scrapbook? Is anyone going to pick up the torch?

    Dandy
    http://dan-d-sparks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dan, I believe that there are volunteers lined up to carry the torch. As soon as I hear anything I'll post it.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very eloquent tribute to him. I had the wonderful privilege of getting to know Carl and having lunch with him on a regular basis before he moved to Seattle. He was everything everyone has written - funny, generous, kind, extremely intelligent and a gentleman. I will miss him greatly too.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I never met Carl, he and I traded e-mails back & forth on February 16th, 2011 and I remarked to my wife how neat it was to talk to one of my hobby hero's. His humor was solidly intact and he admonished me on a german tramway layout that is perhaps 5'x 10' feet that I had brought to his attention. He reminded me to "think small" and that the layout, while outstanding was "far too large...." to be considered for inclusion on his website.

    I hope someone will pick up the torch and continue the website. I would be a true loss to the hobby to lose this resource and I am sure Carl would want it to continue. RIP Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very very sad. I'm about to exhibit a 16mm micro-layout at the 16mm modellers annual show.

    I would never have been inspired to do it, if it hadn't been for Carl's web-page and books.

    John Rogers, England

    ReplyDelete
  14. he inspired many modellers (including me) to finish their dream projects
    his railways were small, but he was an inspirational giant
    Mark Collyer England




    Mark Collyer England

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sad news. I've been checking Carl's website every day for the March update. It was always something I looked forward to... I was afraid the website problems were more than just a technical problem and then I found your blog post.

    Very sad. His website was inspirational and fun. I went through a divorce a few years ago and lost (among other things) my basement layout. Carl's website inspired me to believe that I could enjoy model railroading on a much smaller scope, and I have been researching and building a micro garden railway with real dirt and real plants... So I owe that fun project to Carl.

    I do hope somebody can carry on with his work. And if nothing else, I'm glad I found this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must echo what Vince said.
    For the last year or so I would eagerly await each issue and show it to my boys (who were featured on the site a year ago).

    Over the last few months I have been somewhat distracted but when I saw there was something wrong with the site I had that sinking feeling which you have confirmed.

    This is a sad loss, not only to the doers but to the dreamers who were becoming inspired to start something.

    If nobody else steps up I am prepared to host his site but I can't offer to maintain it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the flag will be at half staff at my place tomorrow. I will do anything to help.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! What a sad thing. Carl was a true leader and visionary. I enjoyed his website immensely. he was quick to respond to email and he had a devotion to the craft. My thoughts and prayers will be with his family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ian, Carl and I shared a similar friendship and email relationship. We swapped ideas regularly and challenged each other. I was honored that he chose one of my designs to adorn the cover of one of his books. He was a unique individual and his contributions to our hobby will not soon be forgotten! Rest well, Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have spent the last 3 years building my micro-layout ( http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page98a/index.html#hillside ), and Carl's website was (and still is!) absolutely inspirational and motivating. I wouldn't have commenced the layout without him, nor would I have "completed" it. Whenever I emailed him with some minor news or query, he always replied pretty much straight-away (not bad, considering we are on opposite sides of the world) with a really friendly and encouraging remark or comment. I had no idea he had passed on until I checked in to his website today. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I built a micro layout because of Carl's inspiration. I sent him some photos, and he liked them so much he published them on his site! I, too, noticed he responded to emails as if you were his favorite friend. He will be sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment