In the mailbox. Minneapolis Fork. Part 13

Recently, a couple of locomotives that I was interested in appeared on that well known auction site. A Weaver GP38-2 and a Red Caboose GP9. Both were reasonably priced and I agonized for a while over which should grace my collection. The Red Caboose GP9 looked a bit the worse for wear, whereas the GP38 seemed well looked after in the pictures. So I went with the Weaver model. There were other reasons too. I’ll divulge those momentarily. The model arrived yesterday and looks as good in the flesh as in the images. 




Posed in front of my warehouse backdrop model, it looks really impressive.
The other reason for buying the Geep was that I had seen them working the line outside my office. Though the Plymouth turn is now worked by GP40’s and 60’s I have quite a few pictures of 38-2’s on trains. So it would be proper to have such a loco working my layout. 

A couple of leased GP-38’s seen in the park outside my office over the years
I’m not sure I want to paint over my model’s Union Pacific colour scheme with a solid red or light blue, as much as I like the light blue GATX livery. I know I have some photos of some UP GP38’s. I just have to find them. Now where are they…


Comments

  1. Patch it then! Either a black (or dark grey) or perhaps a mismatched yellow?
    Then just some new markings on the cab side with stencilled number and ownership?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. Yes, a patch job would be the way to go. I found some pictures of GMTX 2313, another GP38-2 in my collection. It would be a simple task to re-create

      Delete
  2. LLPX have a number of ex-UP GP38-2s. They removed the UP lettering and added their own vinyls - Highball Graphics do a decal sheet https://highballgraphics.com/index.php/100/2/locomotive/locomotive-ho-scale/llpx-leasing-locomotive-yellow-gray-gp38-2-s-ho-scale-detail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies, I didn't sign in to leave that comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian, I have two of these GP 38-2s in my stash. They are a great starting point for a small (ish) O scale layout. I also have two of the original Atlas (by Roco) 70's issue F units as well. One of the reasons why I am thinking of building a shortline loco depot.

    I have several Atlas (by Roco) 70's 40 foot box cars and a caboose as well as some other weaver cars and two Evans Atlas (3-Rail) boxes as well. Thankfully Kadee just released their O scale range of trucks! Yippee! So I'll be able to replace all of the trucks on all of the cars over time. Love your layout, it has inspired me to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment