Cartel Challenge Sketchbook (3)

 Here then, are some more sketches for my challenge layout. These are a bit more of a literal adaptation of Carl’s original scheme. I’m loathe to be that unimaginative in my interpretation of the plan for the competition but I had to get it out of my system, so to speak.

You will see in these sketches that the fence is there, as is the loading dock. I really like the way the fence acts as a view block forcing you to look around it to take in the scene. It makes things seem bigger. A loading dock with all kinds of materials on it would be an interesting scenic development. Someone could go to town modelling boxes, crates and sacks filled with all manner of goodies in 16mm scale. No detail would be too small to be reproduced. That is something that appeals to me. 

Perhaps the layout could represent a railway delivering coal and other supplies to the back of a country house. Like the extensive system at Dove Leys, one of the homes of Sir Arthur Heywood, a pioneer of 15” gauge estate railways.

Still lots to think of before I make a final decision .

Lots of brickwork for a backscene around the rear of a country house perhaps

The fence, acting as a view block

Materials on the loading dock

Gates, like on Carl’s original scheme
A slight variation. The tipper wagon would tip into the building (like coal into a coal bunker perhaps) rather than tipping off the layout.

Comments