Report from the land of Nogg

Work on assembling the winter issue of the Micro Model Railway Dispatch has slowed the work on the Nogg mine project. But before the rest period things took a step or two backwards. 

I was starting on laying a test section of track that incorporated one of the kick switches and the planned shipping container workshop scene. As I laid things out I quickly realised that things wouldn't fit as planned. (below)


This often happens when I translate a sketch to a plan, especially when working in a new scale. One that I have no familiarity with, so I wasn't too bothered. Though it will probably mean a new plan. Hopefully one that will contain a workshop scene.



I was really looking forward to fitting the workshop scene into the layout. The last time I modelled a detailed workshop was on Purespring Watercress. I really enjoyed sourcing all the bits and pieces to created the detailed scene. 
Having the track laid out as I planned it meant I'd have little more than 2" of depth of workshop to detail. Two inches isn't enough to fit a workbench in. No workbench, no tools. No detailed scene. I was disappointed. 

Another thing I was concerned about was the point work itself. I briefly flirted with the idea of kick points (that is, a single bladed point that was often kicked into place by mine workers and was very typical of small mines like these.) However, they weren't often used on lines where locomotives had to run over them. There are videos on YouTube of lines in old eastern bloc countries where locos run over kick points, where health and safety is not a big thing.  But not in the UK. 
One other aspect that drew me to kick points, was the thought that this might be a space saver. But after researching them, and the "rules" for effective operation. I found they wouldn't save much space over regular pointwork. 
To that end, I found a couple of old Atlas O scale points on that well known auction site. They are good quality and in excellent condition. I thought they would be the key to moving the layout forward.


There are several ways forward with regards to the points. First, and the simplest way. Is to use them as is, and just bury the sleepers in the dirt so the incorrect sleeper size and spacing is not seen. Second, and currently the most appealing idea. Is to cut most of the sleepers off the track, leaving a few key ones in place and dressing those with my embossed styrene sheet pressed steel sleepers as seen in issue 127 of NGIRM Review (below). That way all the mechanics of the switching mechanism would remain undisturbed.  Cutting sleepers off track for narrow gauge points is something that is popular in the smaller gauges. 



The third and final choice would be to dismantle the point altogether and re-lay the elements onto some of my sleepers. A lot of work, but as a rail bending tool for O gauge rail is over $200, it's a much cheaper option. This option would also please some of my friends (they know who they are), who want me to build the track for this project.   
Now, it's important to get down and do some planning, so I can get the layout sorted out.




Comments