The Holmes Hall Light Railway

There is, in my basement, a triangular shaped baseboard. How I ended up with a triangular baseboard is neither here nor there. But the circumstances that prompted its construction changed and I moved on to other projects but kept the baseboard. I still keep looking at it and coming up with different schemes to use it. I'm sure that one day I'll come up with an idea I really like and proceed to build. But I thought I'd share this one with you to get you out of the idea of thinking that your model railway baseboards have to be rectangular.
The Holmes Hall Light Railway, (and just what is wrong with naming a scheme after yourself?). Is envisioned as a narrow gauge layout using 9mm gauge track for the permanent way. Typical combinations would be OO9 in the UK or HOn30 elsewhere. Perhaps even O9 would be workable. The 9mm gauge would allow the use of 6" radius curves and tighter without looking too silly. I've measured this up and sketched the track plan on the baseboard I have so I know this scheme is workable on a triangular board that is 4' long on the long side.
The scheme was influence by a combination of the English country estate railways of the early 20th century (like those pioneered by Sir Arthur Heywood) and the farm railways like the potato railways of my native Lincolnshire in England.
The feature of this layout that excites me the most is that part of the model on the right where you actually get to watch the train come towards you, rather than the usual view of a layout where the trains cross your field of view. The train enters the scene at the apex of the triangle and runs towards the viewer along the side of a road, it then rounds a tight curve and moves into the yard where it could shunt the wagons into the goods shed or the coal shed at the back of the hall. The line that runs behind the goods shed runs through a hole in the backscene into a fiddle yard that I have envisioned as being a fold up one for ease of storage and transportation, where it can then complete a loop to run into the scene once more.


Comments