Small Layout Design 101

With this series of blog posts what I will try to do is outline the steps I go through in designing a small model railway. So you can "get inside me 'ead" as it were. Once you see my thought processes you should be able to develop your own.
Be warned some of this should not be attempted without the use of a safety net and a realisation that at some point some sleepless nights will ensue. (You think I'm kidding don't you...)
My thought processes can seem somewhat unusual and as a result some of these writings may seem somewhat unusual. But we'll give it a go.
First off, ask yourself this question.
"Why do I want to build a small model railway?".
Invariably there are one of two answers, or both.
Because: 1. "I don't have space for a large one."
and 2. "I want to take a layout to a train show."
So your first consideration should always be portablility/transportability.
What's the difference?
Well, a laptop is portable and a computer with a tower is transportable. The laptop is designed to be moved around easily and so it is with small layouts.
If you're not bothered about taking a layout to train shows then you can just look at the space you have, put a shelf up and "go for it" and then curse and swear when you decide that you'd really like to take it to a show.
If however you want to show your layout (and lets face it who doesn't want the adulation of their peers in public). Go out into the garage right now and measure the back of your truck/car/ vehicle that you'll take the layout to the show in. Get a tape measure out and measure what space you've got in there. Because there's no point in designing a layout based on a 5' baseboard section if you've only got 4'6" in the back of your vehicle. I know I've done it.
More than once.
Got those measurements?
Good. DON'T loose them. We're done for the day.
Now go and read a railway book. Something like Edwin Alexanders "Down at the Depot". I'm reliably informed that many American railroaders have this tome in their collections.
If you haven't, no matter, just make sure the book you read has lots of lovely pictures in it...

Comments

  1. "(You think I'm kidding don't you...)"

    No, I don't... I've lain awake many-a-night, thinking through a layout problem, or designing the "next great plan" in my head... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment